It is no surprise that kitchens are the most frequently renovated or remodeled rooms in the home. Memories are created in the kitchen, making it a central room in the house. Indeed, it has been called the heart of the home. Now that you are ready to transform your kitchen, we will share some general ideas and some unique kitchen remodeling ideas.
We at West Shore Construction have remodeled kitchens across southwest Florida for 30 years. We’ve seen and done it all, so we have put together some tips, suggestions, and trends for remodeling from the ceiling to your kitchen floor. Kitchen remodels can be as drastic as changing the floor plan of the entire kitchen to as simple as refacing cabinets. Most areas of the kitchen are covered in the article below.
- And other considerations.
Whether your kitchen is large or small, traditional, or contemporary, you may find some unique kitchen remodeling ideas that suite your style and personality. Some concepts are straightforward and great for Do-It-Yourself projects. On the other hand, some tasks and redesigns might best be handled by a licensed contractor who can warranty their work. No matter how grand or simple, you will realize a great return on your investment.
One of the easiest entry points to a kitchen makeover is the cabinets.
Pulls and knobs
If on a budget and your cabinets are in good condition, one of the simplest updates is changing the hardware. Pulls and knobs come in classic or quirky, different sizes, and textures. Metals matter in that nickel and brass are traditional and timeless while steel is more modern and contemporary. There is something unique for every style and taste and is a simple D-I-Y kitchen remodeling project.
In like fashion, another cost-effective kitchen upgrade is putting on new cabinet doors. Updating the cabinet door paneling and texture could add a boost to your kitchen. Check out modern paneling and textures, including textured or decorated glass panels.
Replacing cabinets can be tricky and may call for an expert. Additionally, this is a pricier choice for upgrading cabinets when doing a kitchen remodel. Here are some considerations:
- If you have a small kitchen, simple wood or white cabinets can create a feeling of space.
- Ready-to-assemble kitchen cabinets come in packaging with everything you need to assemble and hardware to install. The cabinet will be made of engineered wood, making it a more cost-effective replacement option, although less durable.
- On the other end is solid wood cabinetry and drawers with dovetail joinery. Solid wood is more durable and, subsequently, more costly.
Whether you replace or refresh, a unique kitchen remodeling idea is to use under-cabinet or in-cabinet lighting. Boldly highlight special glassware, collectibles, or other items.
Open shelving, as opposed to closed cabinets, can enlarge or open up the feel of a smaller kitchen. Even if you are not pressed for space, adding shelves between windows or in corners can create platforms for displaying prized items. Windows on either side will create natural spotlights. Pendant lights may have the same effect in corners. Adding shelving is a very simple kitchen remodeling idea that can give a lift to space.
The walls of a kitchen can be a wonderful canvas for expression. An upgrade here might be paint, hand-laid tile or peel-and-stick tile sheets. The kitchen not only gets a lot of foot traffic, and by default, the walls can also be the recipient of leaning shoulders and sticky hands. Not only this but the walls of the kitchen are exposed to smoke, water, oil, and food substances.
When choosing a paint color, especially with an open concept floor plan, the color should blend or complement the rest of the living area. Studies have been done on the effects of color. For example, red is a good color for the kitchen, as it is believed to stimulate the appetite. According to HGTV, certain other colors create a feeling of warmth and welcome. These colors in include red, yellow, green, white, and gray.
Certainly, texture is to be considered when painting as part of your kitchen remodeling. Satin or semi-gloss is good for the kitchen, as this texture hides imperfections and is easy to clean.
Introducing tile in kitchen remodeling can have an amazing impact on the look and feel of the kitchen. There are different types of tile such as cement, ceramic, square, subway or rectangular.
Here are some tile ideas:
- Backsplash – This area of the kitchen is one of the easiest to make a big impact in. It is also an area that needs particular care because it is exposed to heat, oil, moisture, and food splashes. Therefore, be careful about texture, porosity, and maintenance of the backsplash. Mosaic tile is a great choice here for do-it-yourselfers because they come set in a mesh-mounted sheets for easy installation.
- Highlight the area under the hood with a unique color, texture, or pattern.
- If there is enough wall around the cabinets in the food preparation area, make a statement with counter-to-ceiling tile.
Kitchen remodeling ideas would not be complete without a conversation about countertops. Here are some pros and cons of today’s countertop styles and materials.
- Granite is durable and impervious to cutting and impact. Likewise, it is heat-resistant, allowing you to go from oven to countertop. What’s more, no two slabs are alike, making your granite countertops unique. Notwithstanding, granite is porous and needs to be sealed and regularly resealed. Have your professional cutter check your cabinets to ensure they can handle your granite’s weight.
- Quartz countertops come in a wide range of design variations and colors, making it easier to match when involved in kitchen remodeling. It is durable and stain resistant. Quartz does not need to be sealed and is fairly maintenance-free. Unlike granite, greater care must be taken against heat. Always use a trivet or hot pad.
- Marble is considered a luxury material and the costliest countertop material. One drawback of using marble is that it is easily scratched and porous. This means that countertops need to be guarded against impact and cutting boards are a must. Additionally, you will need to seal your marble and maintain it well to protect it from stains and etching.
The hottest trend now is solid countertops with contrasting cabinetry. For a unique kitchen remodeling idea, think granite with a honed finish.
Hone vs polish
All these stone and tile materials can be either honed or polished. Honed stone and tile are more modern in appearance. A honed surface has a more natural look and does not reflect light (a matte finish). Polished material has been smoothed and shined, and therefore reflects light. Honed stone looks lighter than polished. A kitchen remodeling style tip is that polished stone, such as polished marble, has a more refined, traditional appearance. It works well with decorative lighting and ornate fixtures and features. Using the same example, honed marble pairs well with natural or modern decorating styles and is neutral and warm.
Accent materials for countertops:
- Butcherblock is warm and inviting and great for farmhouse-style kitchens. The downside is that it is not heat-resistant or impervious to cuts or liquids. Butcherblock is best used as an accent in a small area to keep the kitchen’s style.
- Stainless steel is perfect for appliances and sinks. When it comes to countertops, however, it can make the space feel cold and unwelcoming. Its benefits of being stain and heat-resistant are best realized in a smaller utility piece on the countertop, not the whole countertop.
Redoing the flooring could be one of the costliest kitchen remodeling ideas. It might, however, also be one of the most impactful, breathing new life into the home. When choosing flooring materials, consider that this is probably the highest traffic area in your home. Moreover, kitchen floors are exposed to impact, moisture, and potential stains on a daily basis.
- Hardwood – Solid hardwood floors never go out of fashion, are durable, and inviting. Although water-resistant, they are not waterproof. Protect areas in front of the refrigerator and sink and attend to spills quickly. Hardwood can last a lifetime with refinishing and staining. A current kitchen remodeling trend is lighter tone woods. Reclaimed and recycled woods are sustainable, environmentally friendly choices.
- Engineered wood – Laminates offer ease of installation and though not traditionally waterproof, this is becoming a more popular offering. Engineered wood can be found in traditional or rustic finishes.
- Tile – With its versatility and variety of form, texture, and colors, tile is always a popular option for traditional and unique kitchen remodeling. Tile can be ceramic, porcelain or natural stone, such as slate. Consider plank tile for a stylish, contemporary shift from hardwood planks. Tile is always a popular option for kitchen flooring. It is especially popular in climate such as Florida, as it helps maintain cooler room temperatures. Properly installed tile is best left to the professionals. It must be appropriately leveled, grouted, and sealed to insure a lifetime of enjoyment.
- Vinyl – Modern vinyl is not the stuff of our parent’s day and is worth consideration when upgrading your kitchen. It is durable, waterproof, and available in a variety of textures, washes, patterns, and can even mimic hardwood or tile.
No kitchen remodeling project would be complete without looking at updating appliances. With time and technology, appliances have made great strides in energy efficiency. Switching out appliances as part of the kitchen makeover could save you significant dollars on your utility bills. Look for the Energy-Star seal of certification.
Updating to stainless steel appliances is a tried and true kitchen remodeling idea. It brings a fresh look, clean lines, and modernity to the heart of the home. Today’s appliance options include facing that hides them from view. For example, your refrigerator and dishwasher can be faces to blend with your kitchen cabinetry. With updates in technology, newer appliances also save user time and increase efficiency. Furthermore, they are easy to clean.
Getting creative with kitchen lighting can be one of the easiest and most fun ways to express your style and give you kitchen a lift. Unique kitchen remodeling ideas can come from mixing and matching different shapes, styles, sizes, colors, and mediums. Here are some things to try.
- Pendants of all shapes, sizes, and colors. This type of lighting makes a statement whether clustered, in a row or solo. Here are some unique and modern ideas which could be adapted for a traditional, farmhouse, or contemporary kitchen.
- Antique or vintage
- Geometric shapes such as tubes, globes, saucers.
- Exposed wires
- Lighting directed up and/or directed downward.
- Grouping – don’t be afraid to mix and match lighting as long as there is a central theme. This will offer an orderly, yet edgy flair. For example, three round, white paper pendant lanterns of different shapes hung in a row add interest and variety, yet unity.
- Standing lamps on islands, bars, or counter corners.
- Chandeliers, both modern and traditional, are always classy. Don’t forget to install a dimmer for ambience.
Choose LED lighting whenever you can. This is an energy saving tip whether you are doing a kitchen remodel or any other part of the home. LED lighting is energy efficient and will help to save money on electric bills.
Kitchen Remodeling Ideas for Finishing Touches
- Install an island. Kitchen islands can be large, such as an extra food preparation surface to a gathering place for eating. Comparatively, it can be just large enough for extra storage drawers and cabinets with space for a bowl of fruit on top. An island becomes a focal point, even in small kitchens. Moreover, a kitchen island can create a definition to the kitchen space. When adding an island as part of kitchen remodeling, be sure to leave 36 to 48 inches of walk around space on all sides.
- Take advantage of technology. According to the latest U.S. Houzz Kitchen Trends Study, most kitchen remodeling ideas include inserting technology in a variety of ways. Some of these include home assistants for controlling technology, water efficient touchless faucets, and wireless-controlled appliances.
- Install a pantry. Sometimes there is no designated pantry area in your kitchen or home. Creating a small pantry or using a small closet is a great kitchen remodeling idea. Buying in bulk can help with household budgeting. These items may be too large for kitchen cabinets, so don’t be afraid to get creative with pantry space.
In any house, the kitchen is arguably what makes it a home. It is a place where friends and loved ones gather, and memories are made. Bringing new life into your space with unique kitchen remodeling ideas does not have to be labor intensive or expensive. Some updates can be done yourself; others require experienced professionals to ensure it is done right the first time.
Contacting a professional
West Shore Construction has spent over 30 years helping customers create inviting gathering spaces. Our consultants can help you with develop kitchen remodeling ideas, create plans, and ensure expert installation. We work with some of the most talented trades-men and -women in the industry. Satisfied customers live north of Palm Harbor, south to Sarasota, Tampa Bay and beyond to the Villages.
Visit our website to find out more about kitchen remodeling. We not only makeover kitchens but also renovate bathrooms, and do whole home remodeling as well. Contact us online or call today at 727-488-8182.